Friday, September 27, 2013

Review on the Poem "Becoming a Poet Again" by Acep Zamzam Noor

First time reading this particular poem, I was initially amused by the line ’Sedang bau aneh dari tengkuk, leher, dan ketiakmu itu/ Telah menjelmakan kata-kata juga.' The second time I read this, I was surprised because this poem seems rather erotic in my opinion – what with some sexual connotation or implications that I found.
Though I had to admit that the author is certainly knows how to use metaphor and figurative language well, and even though some of the words are not metaphor, they can still invoke some feelings or image into my minds so clearly and vividly. I can say I actually like this poem, though I also have to admit that the sexual implications in this fabulous work actually kind of disturb me. Then I tried to read the next poem, and although the work is certainly just as fabulous as this one, again I found myself being disturbed by the sexual implications there. I think I just unused to these kind of poems.

 Comparing the two versions, the English and the Indonesian, I think I like the Indonesian version better, because it has more impact on me and the flow of words also feel more natural in this version rather than in its English version. If I had to comment about the content itself, I think it’s actually quiet obvious from the words and even the title itself. It is about a person, a poet, who finds himself able to form words and create poems just by looking or observing Melvi – I assume this is his beloved one – and that as long as Melvi is there, he can always make new poems, for Melvi’s existence itself seems to be his inspiration. And even after Melvi left him, the memories that was left by Melvi are stil able to invoke some feelings within him to form words and create many new poems, as can be seen in the third paraghrap of the poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment